Thursday, May 21, 2009

More or Less?


11th Annual Atlantic Show

The 11th Annual Fitness Atlantic show was held last month in Connecticut and was another amazing event. Promoter Brian Cannone has developed a sound New England marketing campaign which includes grass roots relationships throughout the year with area competitors and a postcard mailing 5 months in advance of the April show. But, he commits most of his marketing resources to his website which features Atlantic show competitors in photo galleries and video clicks and mail order products including on-line training books and manuals. Over 150 competitors participated at the show and although this represented a 25% drop from last year, the show was still sold-out with over 700 seats! The venue lobby had a dozen exhibitors including Dymatize, Celsius and other national brands.

Congratulations, Brian!

Lou Zwick


==================================

Hey Lou,

Thanks for the little note...not sure who you are sending this email too. The 25% doesn't sound good but 160 athletes works better than 220 at this type of one-day event.

I know you think the 2 day event is the key to fitting more people into the show but also with that you kill off the audience and only chase entry fees to make a profit.

Yeah I lost a few thousand this year but also had no complaints and great reviews - last year more than half the people didn't come back as they said the show was too long...(it really ended at the same time 10:15pm but had no breaks and ran non-stop)

150 works best for my one day with all the rounds - can't really do more in one day and I don't mind turning people away for last minute entry past the deadline and selling out of ticket sales feels better than chasing people down. Begging people to enter a show isn't a good feeling or seeing empty seats.

I'm not into the two day event in a hotel ballroom - with the lighting and stage expense I don't think more athletes is the answer all the time. Plus there is nothing like having a stage with a curtain and stadium style seating rather than flat folding chairs.

I'd also love to run two shows a year but it diminishes the importance of winning the title and I chase the same people and get a low audience turn out and lose money doing it.

...seems to me like your into more shows and more competitors to rate the events?

I don't think that is the only answer - I like quality athletes and not just bodies...people getting real exposure...getting to know each person that enters.

I enjoy working with less people and putting more time into promoting them and I still feel that is what makes the shows the best draw year after year.

So just wanted to comment on my review and see what you feel about that - I'm not convinced on the 2 day shows yet.

Brian Cannone
blog comments powered by Disqus